Curator of Fossil Insects (Palaeontology Department)
at the State Museum of Natural History Stuttgart
We are seeking a highly motivated scientist with good team work skills and a strong desire to conduct original research. The State Museum of Natural History Stuttgart (SMNS) is an internationally renowned research institution. It houses a large and internationally well-known amber collection and a rich Mesozoic and Cenozoic insect collections.
- Conduct high quality, predominantly collection-based research on fossil insects and
- Publish in internationally renowned journals on a regular basis
- Develop externally funded interdisciplinary research projects
- Management, conservation, and extension of the fossil insect collections, following international standards
- Public outreach activities: communication of science and scientific conceptual design of exhibitions
- PhD in Palaeontology/Earth Sciences/Biology
- Comprehensive knowledge (including species diversity) of fossil insect faunas, preferably from more than one geological period
- Expertise with amber insect fossils
- Expertise in systematics, phylogeny, evolution and fossillagerstaetten
- An outstanding publication record
- Experience in working with scientific collections
- Successful national and international scientific collaborations and interdisciplinary projects
- Experience in public outreach
- Willingness to teach at university level
- Abilities as team player, participating in interdisciplinary research projects, and internal committees
- Ability to supervise technical staff and graduate and postgraduate students
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Basic knowledge of German language or willingness to acquire this knowledge in due course
Salary will follow E 13 TVL(German civil service salary scale). The official language of the institution is German, but applications in English will be considered. The position is intended to be filled by January 2018. SMNS strives to increase the proportion of women and, therefore, we especially encourage the application of highly-qualified female scientists. When equally qualified and suitable for the position, disabled applicants will be preferentially considered. Scientists are invited to submit their electronic application to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to September, 30th, 2017. The following documents should be included in a single pdf file: CV, contact information for 3 references, publication list, summary of collection and teaching experience, research outlook (max. 3 pages), and a list of acquired funding. Please also provide pdfs of 3 key publications. For further information, contact the director Prof. Dr. Johanna Eder (email@example.com) or the head of the palaeontology department Dr. Rainer Schoch (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Achtung! Bitte senden Sie Ihre Bewerbungen direkt an die Einrichtung, die die Stelle ausschreibt, und nicht an den Deutschen Museumsbund. Wenn in der Ausschreibung keine E-Mail-Adresse angeben ist, sind Online-Bewerbungen nicht erwünscht. Vielen Dank!