Job offer ref. #06-18001
The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) is a member of the Leibniz Association and is based in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. SGN conducts natural history research with almost 800 employees and research institutions in seven federal states, and is also custodian of the UNESCO World Heritage Site at Messel.
For the DFG project „Reykjanes Ridge hydrothermal activity and biological data“, the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung is inviting applications to its Centre for Marine Biodiversity Research in Hamburg for the position of a PostDoc Position (full-time, 100%)
The main task of the PostDoc will involve analysis of under-water images for benthic community analysis and biological habitat mapping, identification of benthic North Atlantic fauna and participation in expedition MSM17-15 of RV Maria S. Merian in June – August 2018. The position is in collaboration with British Antarctic Survey scientist Dr. Katrin Linse.
- analyse, quantify and describe the epibenthic macro- and megafauna communities based on ROV high-definition video surveys and / or AUV photographic surveys, organized on a stratified random scheme for orientation and distance from the vents
- examine the physical faunal specimens collected by ROV morphological for taxonomic determination and tissue samples taken for molecular studies on taxonomic confirmation via DNA barcoding (COI gene) and phylogenetic position (e.g. 18S, 28S, 16S)
- publish the results of the imagery and microzonation analysis and taxonomic identifications in (a) peer-reviewed publication(s) describing the yet unknown biological community of the Reykjanes hydrothermal venting sites
- a PhD degree in a field related to biodiversity research
- strong interest in identifying marine animals to class level
- very good knowledge about statistical biodiversity analysis methods as well as in community descriptions and in molecular methods
- experience with processing still and video underwater images
- basic skills with an imaging software like ImageJ or Adobe Photoshop
- willingness to work at sea and be involved in publication and grant writing
- good command of English (oral and written)
Salary and benefits are according to a full-time public service position in Germany (TV-H E 13, 100%). The position is a 1-year fixed-term post, starting June 15th, 2018.
The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung supports equal opportunity of men and women and therefore strongly invites women to apply. Equally qualified handicapped applicants will be given preference. The place of employment will be Hamburg, Germany. The employer is the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung.
Please send your application, mentioning the reference of this job offer (ref. #06-18001) before March 5th, 2018 by e-mail (attachment in a single pdf document) and including a cover letter, a detailed CV, and a list of publications to the address below:
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
60325 Frankfurt am Main
For scientific enquiries please contact Dr. Saskia Brix, Email: Saskia.Brix-Elsig@Senckenberg.de
Achtung! Bitte senden Sie Ihre Bewerbungen direkt an die Einrichtung, die die Stelle ausschreibt, und nicht an den Deutschen Museumsbund. Wenn in der Ausschreibung keine E-Mail-Adresse angegeben ist, sind Online-Bewerbungen nicht erwünscht. Vielen Dank!