Postdoctoral researcher (Palaeontology) at the State Museum of Natural History Stuttgart
We are seeking a highly motivated scientist with good team work skills and a strong desire to conduct original research. The State Museum of Natural History Stuttgart (SMNS) is an internationally renowned research institution. It houses large and internationally well-known collections.
- Conduct high quality, predominantly collection-based research on fossil taxa and/or fossillagerstätten relevant to the research focus of the SMNS
- Publish results in internationally renowned journals
- PhD in Palaeontology/Earth Sciences/Biology
- Experience and expertise in systematics, phylogeny, evolution and fossillagerstaetten
- An outstanding publication record
- Experience in working with scientific collections
- Successful national and international scientific collaborations and interdisciplinary projects
- From fossilagerstätten to aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems: analysing taphonomic filters using ecological models and food webs in one of the following lagerstaetten: Vellberg (Triassic), Posidonia Shale (Early Jurassic), Nusplingen (Late Jurassic), Randeck Maar (Early/Middle Miocene), Steinheim Basin (Middle Miocene).
- Reconstruction of continental Miocene ecosystems, with focus on one of the following groups: plants, insects, amphibians, or mammals.
- Palaeontological, geochemical, and/or geophysical proxies in the Miocene (e.g., Steinheim Basin, Randeck Maar), or Quaternary (e.g., Cannstatt Travertine) deposits. (Cooperation with Uni Heidelberg for X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy – XRF).
- Fish ontogeny and variability and/or trophic network analysis of deltaic deposits in the Middle Triassic Buntsandstein deposits (Collection Grauvogel, Alsace).
- Osteology, taxonomy, and palaeobiology of pachycormid fishes from the Jurassic fossillagerstaetten Nusplingen and Holzmaden.
- or any other topic that fits into the framework of taxa and fossillagerstätten focused on by the SMNS.
The position is limited to 3 years. Salary will follow E13 TVL (German civil service salary scale). The official language of the institution is German, but applications in English will be considered. The position is intended to be filled by September 1st 2018. SMNS strives to increase the proportion of women and, therefore, we especially enourage the application of high-qualified female scientists. When equally qualified and suitable for the position, disabled applicants will be preferentially considered. Scientists are invited to submit their electronic application to firstname.lastname@example.org until May 6th, 2018. The following documents should be included in a single pdf file: CV, 3 references, publication list, summary of collection and teaching experience, research outlook (max. 3 pages), and a list of acquired funding. Please also provide pdfs of 3 key publications. For further information, contact the director Prof. Dr. Johanna Eder (email@example.com) or the head of the palaeontology department Dr. Rainer Schoch (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Achtung! Bitte senden Sie Ihre Bewerbungen direkt an die Einrichtung, die die Stelle ausschreibt, und nicht an den Deutschen Museumsbund. Wenn in der Ausschreibung keine E-Mail-Adresse angegeben ist, sind Online-Bewerbungen nicht erwünscht. Vielen Dank!