Curator position (E13 TV-L) at the Entomology Department of the State Museum of Natural History Stuttgart
The State Museum of Natural History Stuttgart (SMNS) is an internationally renowned research institution with emphasis on collection-based research in systematics, taxonomy, biodiversity and evolution. The Diptera collection comprises 450,000 specimens of about 12,000 species, including more than 1,000 type series. Two-thirds of the specimens are stored in dry condition, one-third in ethanol.
- Scientific curation of the Diptera collection or another uncurated insect collection(e.g. Orthoptera, Hemiptera)
- Excellent collection-based research with state-of-the-art methods (e.g. molecular techniques, phylogenetic analyses and digitalised 3D-visualisations)
- Publishing in international, renowned journals
- Fieldwork in Germany and abroad
- Development of externally funded, interdisciplinary research projects
- Public outreach activities: science communication, scientific conceptual design of exhibitions
- Interest in teaching at university level
- PhD in zoology with focus on entomology, research focus on insect systematics, taxonomy, phylogenetics, evolution, and/or zoogeography
- Excellent international publication record
- Professional experience in the curation of insect collections
- Experience in raising and administrating research grants
- Team-player with willingness to participate in interdisciplinary national and international research projects
- Experience in supervision and guidance of technical staff and students
- Experience in public outreach
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills
- Sound knowledge of German (or willingness to learn it within reasonable period of time)
Salary will follow E 13 TV-L (German civil service salary scale). The position is intended to be filled as soon as possible. The SMNS strives to increase the proportion of women and, therefore, we especially encourage the application of highly-qualified female scientists. When equally qualified and suitable for the position, disabled applicants will be preferentially considered. Scientists are invited to submit their electronic application to email@example.com prior to June 24th, 2018. The following documents should be included in a single pdf file: CV, 3 references, publication list, summary of collection and teaching experience, summary of public outreach, research outlook (max. 3 pages), and a list of acquired funding. Please also provide pdfs of 3 key publications. For further information please contact Dr. Arnold Staniczek (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr. Lars Krogmann (email@example.com).
Achtung! Bitte senden Sie Ihre Bewerbungen direkt an die Einrichtung, die die Stelle ausschreibt, und nicht an den Deutschen Museumsbund. Wenn in der Ausschreibung keine E-Mail-Adresse angegeben ist, sind Online-Bewerbungen nicht erwünscht. Vielen Dank!