For over 200 years the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) represents one of the most relevant institutions investigating nature and its diversity. Currently, scientists from more than 40 countries across 11 locations in Germany conduct research in the fields of biodiversity, earth system analysis and climate change.
Following its mission to “analyze and document biodiversity in earth system dynamics – to serve science and society” Senckenberg stands for curiosity-driven and application-oriented collections-based research. To strengthen and innovate the collections-based research in the Department of Terrestrial Zoology at the Senckenberg Natural History Collections in Frankfurt, the Senckenberg Society for Nature Research seeks to fill a position of Curator of Entomology (m/f/d) (full time).
We are looking for an internationally recognized entomologist with an excellent track record in integrative taxonomy, systematics, and evolutionary or ecological research of Coleoptera, Diptera or Lepidoptera. With this position we aim to strengthen our collections-based research through integration of innovative, non- or minimally invasive methods for harvesting scientific information from museum specimens, e.g. through innovative imaging approaches (hyperspectral imaging, µCT, MRI, environmental SEM), chemical analyses, or microbiome/pathogen analysis.
Collections-based research and curatorial duties will be associated with either the Coleoptera (1.7 mio specimens; 6542 primary types), Lepidoptera (1.2 mio specimens; 2300 types) or Diptera (0.5 mio specimens; 232 primary types) collections of the Senckenberg Research Institute and Natural History Museum Frankfurt are among the most extensive and scientifically important collections of Senckenberg. All three collections date back to the early 19th century and comprise dry-pinned and ethanol materials.
- Curate and develop one of the above mentioned collections and associated libraries
- Foster the Coleoptera, Lepidoptera or Diptera collections as important international research tools through development and growth
- Conduct innovative collections-based research on the taxonomy, systematics, evolution and/or ecology of Coleoptera, Lepidoptera or Diptera
- Acquisition of external funds
- Actively publish results of your research in international scientific journals
- Contribute to Senckenberg’s Research Program through internal/external collaborations, e. g. with the Senckenberg Deutsches Entomologische Institut Müncheberg
- Doctoral degree in biology/zoology or a related field
- Excellent knowledge of Coleoptera, Lepidoptera or Diptera systematics
- Experience in curation and management of entomological collections
- Experience with modern research infrastructure and innovative methods, e. g. imaging, chemical analysis and/or microbiome/pathogen analysis
- Outstanding research record in systematics, morphology, evolutionary biology or ecology of Coleoptera, Lepidoptera or Diptera, documented by international peer-review publications
- Fluency in English both spoken and written; good knowledge of German
What is awaiting you?
- A vibrant, international team of scientists with collections-based research programs
- Excellent infrastructures and collaboration opportunities, e. g. in morphology, biodiversity genomics, evolutionary biology, ecology
- An attractive and challenging position in a research institution of international standing
- Opportunities to participate in teaching and outreach activities, e.g. in our museum
- A salary that reflects the tasks and responsibilities of the position based on the collective agreement for public service in the state of Hesse (TV-H E 13)
- Flexible working hours – annual special payment – company pension scheme – 30 days holidays – discounted job-ticket for public transportation in the Rhein-Main area
The contract should start as soon as possible – ideally on March 1st, 2021. The Senckenberg Research Institutes support equal opportunity of men and women in management positions and therefore strongly invites women to apply. Equally qualified handicapped applicants will be given preference. The place of employment will be Frankfurt am Main.
You would like to apply?
Please send your application documents (CV, certificates and references, letter of motivation and future visions for research and collections), mentioning the reference of this job offer (ref.#01-20045) before December 31st, 2020 by e-mail (attachment in a single pdf document) to:
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
60325 Frankfurt am Main
For more information, please contact Prof. Dr. Steffen Pauls, firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: +49 (69) 7542-1222
Achtung! Bitte senden Sie Ihre Bewerbungen direkt an die Einrichtung, die die Stelle ausschreibt, und nicht an den Deutschen Museumsbund. Wenn in der Ausschreibung keine E-Mail-Adresse angegeben ist, sind Online-Bewerbungen nicht erwünscht. Vielen Dank!