For over 200 years the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) represents one of the most relevant institutions investigating nature and its diversity. Currently, scientists from more than 40 countries across 11 locations in Germany conduct research in the fields of biodiversity, earth system analysis and climate change. The head office of Senckenberg is Frankfurt am Main together with the Senckenberg Research Institute and Natural History Museum Frankfurt.
The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung intends to fill at the Department of Marine Zoology of the Senckenberg Natural History Collections in Frankfurt, Germany, the position of a Curator of Malacology (m/f/d) (full time)
The malacological collection of the Senckenberg Research Institute in Frankfurt am Main is one of the major collections of Senckenberg. Its origins date back to the early 19th century and the collection comprises recent as well as fossil materials from the Tertiary and Quaternary. With currently more than 700.000 catalogued series and about 8.000 primary type specimens it ranges among the most important collections worldwide both in terms of scientific importance and scope. With the Archiv für Molluskenkunde Senckenberg’s malacology section publishes one of the oldest journals for molluscan studies.
We are looking for an experienced malacologist with an outstanding background in integrative taxonomy and systematics, who is well connected in the international malacological community.
- Assume responsibility for the management and curatorship of the malacological collections together with the extensive malacological library and archives at Senckenberg’s headquarter in Frankfurt am Main
- Foster the collections importance as an international tool for research by developing and enlarging it with a focus on marine (preferred) and/or terrestrial taxa
- Conduct collection based research on the taxonomy, systematics and phylogeny of (preferably) marine molluscs including the acquisition of external funds
- Actively publish results of your research in international scientific journals
- Participate in joint marine research with other scientists at the department of Marine Zoology and in marine expeditions
- Assume editorial responsibility for the journal Archiv für Molluskenkunde
- Teach students and supervise practical work in the course of their academic qualification
- Doctoral degree in biology/zoology or related field; additional knowledge in paleontology would be desirable
- Excellent knowledge of molluscan systematics
- Experience in curating and managing of zoological collections
- Experience with modern research infrastructure and research approaches, such as molecular genetics or imaging methods
- Outstanding research record in systematics or morphology of molluscs, documented by publications in peer-reviewed international scientific journals
- Fluency in English both spoken and written; good knowledge of German
What is awaiting you?
- An attractive and challenging position in a research institution of international standing
- A salary that reflects the tasks and responsibilities of the position based on the collective agreement for public service in the state of Hessen (TV-H E 13 – 14)
- Flexible working hours – annual special payment – company pension scheme – 30 days holidays – discounted job-ticket for public transportation in the Rhein-Main area
The contract should start on 1st January 2020. The Senckenberg Research Institutes support equal opportunity of men and women in management positions and therefore strongly invites women to apply. Equally qualified handicapped applicants will be given preference. The place of employment is in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. The employer is the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung.
You would like to apply?
Please send your application documents (CV, certificates and references, letter of motivation and future visions), mentioning the reference of this job offer (ref.#01-19018) before 15th September, 2019 by e-mail (attachment in a single pdf document) to:
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
60325 Frankfurt am Main
For more information, please contact Prof. Dr. Angelika Brandt, firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: +49-69 – 7542 1240
Achtung! Bitte senden Sie Ihre Bewerbungen direkt an die Einrichtung, die die Stelle ausschreibt, und nicht an den Deutschen Museumsbund. Wenn in der Ausschreibung keine E-Mail-Adresse angegeben ist, sind Online-Bewerbungen nicht erwünscht. Vielen Dank!