Job offer ref. #01-18014
The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) is a member of the Leibniz Association and is based in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. SGN conducts natural history research with almost 800 employees and research institutions in six federal states, and is also custodian of the UNESCO World Heritage Site at Messel.
The Senckenberg Research Institute invites applications for a PhD Position in a project funded by the German Science Foundation (DFG) with the title: The influence of Larsen C ice cover on macrobenthic peracarid crustacean assemblages on the Antarctic shelf.
PhD position (m/f )in Marine Biology or Environmental Research (part time position, 65%)
You will be working on the diversity, zoogeography and ecology of the peracarid crustacean fauna of the Larsen shelf, eastern Antarctic Peninsula and carrying out comparisons of the Larsen-C assemblages with those from the seasonally ice-covered Filchner Trough and the ice free South Orkney Islands.
quantitative extraction and identification of the Peracarida (Amphipoda, Cumacea, Isopoda, Mysidacea, Tanaidacea)
- determination of the Peracarida to the lowest possible taxonomic level, at least for one peracarid taxon to species level
- biodiversity analyses in comparison with the other biogeographic regions for the test of the hypothesis
- biogeographic comparison of a selected taxon with known data on the distribution from earlier expeditions
- comparing the composition of the peracarid fauna of the Prince Gustav Channel in 2018 and Larsen-C in 2019, environments at early successional stages
- comparing the composition of the peracarid fauna with those from the seasonally ice-covered Filchner Trough and the ice free South Orkney Islands as well as deep sea of the Weddell Sea
- preparations of individuals for morphologic and genetic analyses
- comparison of the DNA sequences with known sequences from the Weddell Sea or the Antarctic Peninsula (e.g. loci COI, 28S, 18S, 16S)
- analysing peracarid functional groups, especially of the early successional stages
sorting of the benthic material and support of the student helpers
- MSc in biology or environmental research
- experience with systematics and biodiversity of a benthic invertebrate taxon, preferred in peracarid crustaceans
- knowledge of functional groups of peracarid crustaceans is an advantage
- willingness to publish in peer-reviewed journals and present results at international conferences
- team work capabilities in a multidisciplinary team, fluency in English and German
(written and spoken)
- willingness of mentoring students
- willingness to travel (short work visits to Cambrige (UK), and laboratory work on Helgoland)
Salary and benefits are according to a public service position in Germany (TV-H E13, 65%). The contract should start as soon as possible and will be limited for 3 years. The place of employment is at the Senckenberg Research Institute and Museum in Frankfurt. Most of the laboratory work will be performed at the AWI on Helgoland. As the project is in close collaboration with the British Antarctic Survey, short work visits to Cambridge (UK) will be required.
The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung supports equal opportunity of men and women and therefore strongly invites women to apply. Equally qualified handicapped applicants will be given preference. The place of employment will be Frankfurt am Main, Germany. The employer is the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung.
How to apply
Please send your application, mentioning the reference of this job offer (ref. #01-18014) before July 31st, 2018 by e-mail (attachment in a single pdf document) and including a cover letter detailing research interests and experience, a detailed CV and a copy of your Master and Bachelor degree to:
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
60325 Frankfurt am Main
For scientific enquiries please get in contact with Prof. Dr. Angelika Brandt, e-mail email@example.com.
Achtung! Bitte senden Sie Ihre Bewerbungen direkt an die Einrichtung, die die Stelle ausschreibt, und nicht an den Deutschen Museumsbund. Wenn in der Ausschreibung keine E-Mail-Adresse angegeben ist, sind Online-Bewerbungen nicht erwünscht. Vielen Dank!