The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) is a member of the Leibniz Association and is based in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. LOEWE Centre for Translational Biodiversity Genomics (LOEWE-TBG) is a joint venture of the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN), Goethe-University Frankfurt, Justus-Liebig-University Giessen and Fraunhofer Institute for Molecular Biology and Applied Ecology IME aiming to intensify biodiversity genomics in basic and applied research. We will establish a new and taxonomically broad genome collection to study genomic and functional diversity across the tree of life and make genomic resources accessible for societal-demand driven applied research.
The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung and the LOEWE-TBG invite applications for a PhD Position (m/f/d) – Evolutionary genomics of mobile DNA (part time, 50 %).
- Comparative genomic analysis of mobile DNA in non-model organisms, with a focus on invertebrates
- Evolutionary inference of mobile DNA to study dynamics, phylogeny, and/or mode of transmission
- Phylogenomic analysis of whole genome data using state of the art methodology
- A master degree in the fields of biology, evolution or bioinformatics
- Preferred experience with genome assemblies, bioinformatics and basic scripting languages (bash, perl and/or python)
- Interest in mobile DNA and its genomic influences
- Experience and exceptional interest in comparative genomics, evolutionary biology research and phylogenomics
- Teamwork oriented and excellent communication skills in written and spoken English, you also work independently and meet deadlines
What is awaiting you?
- Become part of a dynamic team of researchers in an international research group and join the new LOEWE excellence centre with its 20 new research groups.
- Access to unpublished genomes from exotic animal phyla.
- The possibility to create a network with scientists in interdisciplinary fields in translational biodiversity genomics.
Salary and benefits are according to a part time public service position in Germany (TV-H E 13, 50%). The contract should start as soon as possible and will initially limited for 36 months. The place of employment is in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. The employer is the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung. Equally qualified handicapped applicants will be given preference.
Please send your application, mentioning the reference of this job offer (ref. #12-20016) before 10th August, 2020 by e-mail (attachment in a single pdf document) and including a cover letter detailing research interests and experience, a detailed CV and a copy of your certification to:
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
60325 Frankfurt am Main
For more information please contact Prof. Dr. Axel Janke (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Achtung! Bitte senden Sie Ihre Bewerbungen direkt an die Einrichtung, die die Stelle ausschreibt, und nicht an den Deutschen Museumsbund. Wenn in der Ausschreibung keine E-Mail-Adresse angegeben ist, sind Online-Bewerbungen nicht erwünscht. Vielen Dank!