Job posting ref. #04-18001
The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) is a member of the Leibniz Association and is based in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. SGN conducts natural history research with almost 800 employees and research institutions in seven federal states. SGN also assists the UNESCO World Heritage Site „Grube Messel“.
The Department of River Ecology and Conservation at Senckenberg (Gelnhausen) in cooperation with the Faculty of Biology at the University of Duisburg-Essen jointly invite application for a PhD Scholarship Funding (Stream Ecology)
In a joint research project (Bavarian Forest National Park, University of Bayreuth, University of Dresden, Helmholtz Center on Environmental Research, Senckenberg Research Institute and Natural History Museum Frankfurt) funded by the Glaser Foundation on “The influence of landscape variables on concentration, quality and effects of dissolved organic carbon in the Bavarian Forest National Park, 4 PhD students will work on different topics (hydrology, biogeochemistry, stream ecology). The tasks of the here posted stream ecology position are as follows:
- Identifying temporal and spatial patterns of benthic invertebrate communities in response to the naturally varying DOC concentrations in the Bavarian Forest National Park
- Evaluating the results by comparing own data with corresponding data from boreal streams in Sweden
- Based on the findings of the first part, selecting and investigating two model species regarding intraspecific variation in phenotypic traits in response to different DOC concentrations
- Statistical analyses, preparation of manuscripts
- Master degree in Stream Ecology or a related field
- Solid background in Freshwater (Macro-) Ecology and Zoology (preferably benthic invertebrates)
- Advanced skills in the analysis of (large) ecological datasets
- Very good written and oral communication skills
What is awaiting you?
- A scholarship funding (1.200,- €/month plus a subsidy for the material costs) available for 3 years, starting July 1st, 2018
- The possibility to achieve a doctoral degree at the University of Duisburg-Essen
- An interesting task in an internationally renowned research institution
- The opportunity to cooperate with related research projects
- The opportunity to gain experience in the abovementioned research topics
- The occasion to build a network with scientists in interdisciplinary fields
The Senckenberg Research Institute supports equal opportunity of men and women and therefore strongly invites women to apply. Equally qualified handicapped applicants will be given preference. The place of employment is in Gelnhausen (Hesse), Germany. The employer is the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung.
Please send your application until March 04th, 2018 by e-mail (attachment in a single pdf file), mentioning the reference of this position (ref. #04-18001) and including a letter outlining your suitability and motivation, detailed CV, all transcripts and grades, contact details of two potential references, a summary of your Master’s or Diploma thesis and, if available, a list of publications to the address below:
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
60325 Frankfurt am Main
In addition please indicate in your application how our job advertisement came to your attention.
Achtung! Bitte senden Sie Ihre Bewerbungen direkt an die Einrichtung, die die Stelle ausschreibt, und nicht an den Deutschen Museumsbund. Wenn in der Ausschreibung keine E-Mail-Adresse angegeben ist, sind Online-Bewerbungen nicht erwünscht. Vielen Dank!