For over 200 years the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung represents one of the most relevant institutions investigating nature and its diversity. Currently, scientists from more than 40 countries conduct research in the fields of biodiversity, earth system analysis and climate change in seven Senckenberg Institutes across Germany.
Following its mission to analyse and document biodiversity in earth system dynamics – to serve science and society, Senckenberg fosters curiosity-driven and application-oriented research. In Senckenberg at Frankfurt we seek to fill the position with a
PhD student (m/f/d)
“Diversity of deep-sea holothurians”
(part time 65%)
We are seeking a candidate (m/f/d) with a strong background in marine organismal biology and a keen interest in studying taxonomy and population genetics. The position is part of the Senckenberg Ocean Species Alliance (SOSA) project. http://sosa.senckenberg.de
The Senckenberg Ocean Species Alliance (SOSA) project combines marine biodiversity research, species conservation, and science communication within one project. This interdisciplinary project is composed of three pillars, the Discovery Unit, Red Listing Unit and the Engagement Unit, whose tasks are tightly interlinked. The Discovery Unit will apply a new model for biodiversity work by providing taxonomic services to users inside and outside of Senckenberg. http://sosa.senckenberg.de.
- Study morphological and genomic differentiation in holothurian species with a focus on one selected family or geographical region based on your research interests
- Apply integrative taxonomic approaches, population genomics and molecular phylogenetic evidence
- Publish results in international journals in cooperation with the project team and contribute to project reporting
- Participate in project meetings, outreach activities, and present project results during international scientific conferences (posters/talks)
- MSc degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field, such as biology, zoology, biosystematics
- Knowledge of echinoderms and/or deep-sea biodiversity
- Knowledge of and experience with molecular methods (e.g. DNA barcoding, ancient DNA)and lab experience with microscopy, histology, and/or DNA work
- Interest in science communication, such as presenting project results during international scientific conferences (posters/talks)
- Willingness to participate in international fieldwork and to conduct research visits to partnering institutions
What can you expect?
- An interesting task in a dynamic and interdisciplinary team of researchers in a large-scale international research project
- Affiliation with Goethe University Frankfurt and membership in its graduate academy GRADE
- Flexible working hours – a discounted job ticket – support with childcare or caring for family members (certified by the „audit berufundfamilie“) – Senckenberg badge in combination with free admission to many municipal museums – special annual payment – holiday entitlement of 30 days/year- company pension scheme
Location: Frankfurt am Main
Volume of employment: 65% part-time position (26 weekly working hours)
Type of contract: Employment shall start as soon as possible after March 2022 and will be limited for a three-year contract
The Senckenberg Research Institutes support equal opportunity of men and women and therefore strongly invite women to apply. Equally qualified handicapped applicants will be given preference. The place of employment is in Frankfurt, Germany. We guarantee adherence to the law on part-time employment.
Senckenberg is a globally connected institute. The working language within this project is English. Frankfurt is a vibrant, international, culturally diverse city and one of the world’s travel hubs. We welcome candidates from all nations and can provide support with your relocation process.
Would you like to apply?
Please submit your documents, mentioning the reference of this job posting (ref.#01-21058), as a single email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org until 27 February 2022 or use our online application form on our homepage www.senckenberg.de.
- A cover letter (maximum 1-2 pages) explaining your interest in the project and your relevant prior experience;
- Your detailed CV, including names and contact details of two professional references;
- Copies of your relevant academic certificates and credentials, such as your university degrees.
For more information, please see http://sosa.senckenberg.de or contact the SOSA Co-Chairs:
Achtung! Bitte senden Sie Ihre Bewerbungen direkt an die Einrichtung, die die Stelle ausschreibt, und nicht an den Deutschen Museumsbund. Wenn in der Ausschreibung keine E-Mail-Adresse angegeben ist, sind Online-Bewerbungen nicht erwünscht. Vielen Dank!