Job offer ref. #12-18017
The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) is a member of the Leibniz Association and is based in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. LOEWE Centre for Translational Biodiversity Genomics (LOEWE-TBG), https://tbg.senckenberg.de, is a joint venture of the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN), Goethe-University Frankfurt, Justus-Liebig-University Giessen and Fraunhofer Institute for Molecular Biology and Applied Ecology IME aiming to intensify biodiversity genomics in basic and applied research. We will establish a new and taxonomically broad genome collection to study genomic and functional diversity across the tree of life and make genomic resources accessible for societal-demand driven applied research.
The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung and the LOEWE-TBG invite applications for a PostDoc (m/f) – Soil Invertebrate Phylogenomics – Metagenomics (100%)
- Phylogenomic inferences from shallow genome sequencing data of soil nematodes, mites, earthworms, etc.
- Inference of phylogenetic conservatism of traits
- Taxonomic / functional assignment of invertebrate metagenomes
- PhD in bioinformatics, evolutionary studies or related areas
- Experience in phylogenomics / phylogenetics
- Experience in de novo mitogenome (and other high-copy gene) assembly
- Ability to assemble / troubleshoot bioinformatic pipelines and to deal with large amount of data (i.e. ability for shell and script programming).
- Excellent communication skills in written and oral English
- Team player who successfully interacts with graduate students and colleagues
- Interdisciplinary training and background is welcome
What is awaiting you?
- A dynamic team of scientists at the new LOEWE Centre Translational Biodiversity Genomics (including ecologists, evolutionary biologists, bioinformaticians, applied scientists, etc.)
- Close collaboration with scientists working on a similar project at the Laboratoire d’Écologie Alpine (LECA Grenoble, France)
- Interdisciplinary networking with biodiversity and climate scientists at the Senckenberg Research Institute
- Possibility to co-supervise undergraduate and graduate students and to gain teaching experience
- Flexible working hours – annual special payment – company pension scheme – Senckenberg ID card for free entry in museums in Frankfurt – a holiday of 30 days/year
Place of employment: Frankfurt am Main
Working hours: Full time (40 hours/week)
Type of contract: Initially limited for 3 years
Salary: According to the German collective agreement TV-H (pay grade E 13)
Salary and benefits are according to a full time public service position in Germany (TV-H E13). The position is available as of January 1st, 2019.
The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung supports equal opportunity of men and women and therefore strongly invites women to apply. Equally qualified handicapped applicants will be given preference. The place of employment is in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. The employer is the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung.
Please send your application, mentioning the reference of this job offer (ref.#12-18017) by e-mail (attachment in a single pdf document) until November 4th, 2018 and include a cover letter detailing your research interests and experience, a detailed CV, copies of your certificates (transcripts and grades), a list of publications, contact details of two referees to:
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
60325 Frankfurt am Main
For more scientific information, please contact Dr. Miklós Bálint, Miklos.Balint@senckenberg.de.
Achtung! Bitte senden Sie Ihre Bewerbungen direkt an die Einrichtung, die die Stelle ausschreibt, und nicht an den Deutschen Museumsbund. Wenn in der Ausschreibung keine E-Mail-Adresse angegeben ist, sind Online-Bewerbungen nicht erwünscht. Vielen Dank!