Job offer ref. # 11-18015
The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) is a member of the Leibniz Association and is based in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. SGN conducts natural history research with almost 800 employees and research institutions in six federal states. Within SGN, the Senckenberg Biodiversity and Climate Research Centre (SBiK-F) explores the interactions between biodiversity, climate, and society.
In the context of the DFG funded project “Consumption-based accounts of land-use change related carbon emissions – CoBALUCE”, the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung invites applications for a PostDoc position (m/f) Trade, carbon emissions and land-use change (100%)
Globally, areas under agricultural and forestry use are still expanding. International markets increasingly drive this expansion, which constitutes a major cause of carbon emission and biodiversity loss. Investigating how consumption in one place is telecoupled to production and its impacts elsewhere is paramount to devise more sustainable production and consumption systems. The project investigates ways to establish consistent global production- and consumption-based accounts of carbon emissions related to deforestation and other land-use changes. These emissions will be attributed to biomass products (food, feed, materials, energy). The project is conducted together with the Institute of Social Ecology at the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences (BOKU) in Vienna. The position at SBiK-F will be at the interface of ecology, geography and economics. The candidate will focus on advancing methods to capture production, trade, and consumption of biomass products and to attribute land-use change and environmental impacts to different consumption activities.
- Compare and advance existing approaches for consumption-based accounting of agricultural and forestry products
- Develop attribution schemes to assign environmental load (e.g., land-use change emissions, biodiversity loss) to production and consumption activities
- Conduct statistical analyses of global data
- Contribute to project management (strategic planning, meetings, reporting)
- Publish results in international journals in cooperation with the project team
- PhD degree in interdisciplinary environmental or sustainability science, e.g. industrial ecology, social ecology, ecological economics, physical geography, land system science or another relevant field
- Programming skills (R, Matlab, Phython or similar) and familiarity in working with large datasets and their statistical analysis
- Experience in environmental accounting methods such as environmental footprinting, life-cycle assessment, multi-region input-output analysis, material-flow accounting, greenhouse-gas accounting; preferably with a link to land-use issues
- Excellent publication record
- Excellent English language skills
- Interested and preferably experience in working in an interdisciplinary environment
What is awaiting you?
- An interesting task in a dynamic team of researchers in an international research group
- The possibility to build and extend your network with scientists at an international level and to attend national and international conferences
- Flexible working hours – annual special payment – company pension scheme – Senckenberg ID card for free entry in museums in Frankfurt
Salary and benefits are according to a full time public service position in Germany (TV-H E 13, 100 %). Employment shall start as soon as possible and will be initially limited to 30 months. The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung supports equal opportunity of men and women and therefore strongly invites women to apply. Equally qualified handicapped applicants will be given preference. The place of work is in Frankfurt am Main at the Senckenberg Biodiversity and Climate Research Centre (SBiK-F).
Please send your application, mentioning the reference of this job offer (ref. #11-18015) before December 15th, 2018 by e-mail (attachment in a single pdf document) and including a cover letter describing your motivation to apply, a detailed CV, relevant credentials and certificates, two relevant publications, and contact details of two potential references to:
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
60325 Frankfurt am Main
For scientific inquiries, contact Dr. Thomas Kastner, firstname.lastname@example.org
Achtung! Bitte senden Sie Ihre Bewerbungen direkt an die Einrichtung, die die Stelle ausschreibt, und nicht an den Deutschen Museumsbund. Wenn in der Ausschreibung keine E-Mail-Adresse angegeben ist, sind Online-Bewerbungen nicht erwünscht. Vielen Dank!