For over 200 years the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) represents one of the most relevant institutions investigating nature and its diversity. Currently, scientists from more than 40 countries across 11 locations in Germany conduct research in the fields of biodiversity, earth system analysis and climate change. The head office of Senckenberg is Frankfurt am Main together with the Senckenberg Research Institute and Natural History Museum Frankfurt.
In the context of a research project on ‘Plant environment and resource exploitation in SW Ethiopia >50 ka to the present’, we invite applications for a Postdoctoral Researcher (m/f/d) (100%).
The project is funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG) and focusses on palaeovegetation and plant resource exploitation by modern humans (Middle to Late Stone Age) in the Afromontane zone of SW Ethiopia, in close cooperation with archaeologists, botanists and ethnobotanists.
- Analysis of archaeobotanical charcoal / phytoliths from archaeological rockshelter sites
- Establishment of an anatomical database for Ethiopian woods
- Reconstruction of ancient vegetation in relation to climate change and human impact
- Cooperation within an international interdisciplinary team
- Capacity building for Ethiopian partners
- Organisation of fieldwork and workshops
- PhD in archaeobotany or a related field
- Solid archaeological and botanical background (plant anatomy, systematics and ecology)
- Experience in archaeological wood charcoal and phytolith identification and interpretation
- Comprehensive publication record
- ideally experience in the supervision of students
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English
Salary and benefits are according to a full-time public service position in Germany (TV-H E 13, 100%). The contract should start on June 1st, 2021 and will initially be limited to three years.
The Senckenberg Research Institutes support equal opportunity of men and women and therefore strongly invites women to apply. Equally qualified handicapped applicants will be given preference. The place of employment is in Frankfurt am Main, Germany.
You would like to apply?
Please send your application, mentioning the reference of this job offer (ref. #01-21004) before March 15th, 2021 by e-mail (attachment in a single pdf document) and including a cover letter detailing research interests and experience, a detailed CV and a copy of your certification to email@example.com or apply directly on our homepage via the online application form.
For more information see https://gepris.dfg.de/gepris/projekt/446948552?language=en,
or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Achtung! Bitte senden Sie Ihre Bewerbungen direkt an die Einrichtung, die die Stelle ausschreibt, und nicht an den Deutschen Museumsbund. Wenn in der Ausschreibung keine E-Mail-Adresse angegeben ist, sind Online-Bewerbungen nicht erwünscht. Vielen Dank!