The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) was founded in 1817 and is one of the most important research institutions around biological diversity. At its eleven sites throughout Germany, scientists from over 40 nations conduct cutting-edge research on an international scale. At the site in Müncheberg, Brandenburg, the Senckenberg German Entomological Institute (SDEI) is located in a research town in the Berlin area, with state-of-the-art scientific facilities.
The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung intends to fill at the Senckenberg German Entomological Institute (SDEI) located in Müncheberg, near Berlin, as soon as possible the position of
Scientific employee (m/f/d)
as head of the Coleoptera section
(tenure track / full time / part time options available)
- Head of the Coleoptera Section at SDEI, which includes at present ca. 2,1 Mio. objects, >15,000 type specimens
- Research focusing on the taxonomy and evolution of beetles (Coleoptera), including research domains such as morphology, phylogeny, biogeography, ecology and biodiversity loss
- Coordination of the SDEI collection development and digitization strategy
- Acquisition of research funding
- Lead of and collaboration in core projects of SDEI and SGN
- Training of staff, students and trainees
- Support of management and social activities at the institute
- A doctoral degree in biology/zoology or a related discipline
- Knowledge of a wide spectrum of research methods including advanced techniques
- Experience in construction and care of insect collections is firmly desired
- International publications about the taxonomy and evolution of Coleoptera with a focus on collection material
- Willingness to participate in international, interdisciplinary work, including acquisition of third-party funded projects
- A broad and well-grounded knowledge of entomology, and capability of communicating this to the public
- A good command of English. An adequate knowledge of German is desired, and its rapid acquisition expected if not already given
- Excellent working conditions in a leading research institution including state-of-the-art facilities and outstanding collections
- A stimulating international atmosphere and an open-minded and supportive research culture at Senckenberg
- An employment initially limited to two years with an option of a permanent contract
- A competitive salary that reflects the tasks and responsibilities of the position based on the collective agreement for public service (TV-L) in the state of Brandenburg
- Excellent opportunities for further qualification, for example, support by the SDEI to acquire an adequate command of German
- Flexible working hours – option for mobile working – support with childcare or caring for family members (certified by the „audit berufundfamilie“) – a collectively agreed special annual payment – collectively agreed vacation entitlement – company pension pla
Location of employment: Müncheberg (Brandenburg)
Working hours: Full time / the position is suitable for part-time
Type of contract: Employment is initially limited to two years with the later option of a permanent contract
Salary: According to the collective agreement for public service TV-L (E 13)
Senckenberg is committed to diversity. We benefit from the different expertise, perspectives and personalities of our staff and welcome every application from qualified candidates, irrespective of age, gender, ethnic or cultural origin, religion and ideology, sexual orientation and identity or disability. Women are particularly encouraged to apply, as they are underrepresented in the field of this position and will be given preference in the case of equal qualifications.
Applicants with disabilities (“Schwerbehinderung”) will be given preferential consideration in case of equal suitability. Senckenberg actively supports the compatibility of work and family and places great emphasis on an equal and inclusive work culture.
We welcome your application!
Please submit your complete and comprehensive application (letter of motivation with a short description of your previous and current research foci, your detailed CV, certificates of academic achievements, as well as letters of recommendation) mentioning the reference of this job announcement (ref. #09-23002) by 30 June 2023 by e-mail (attachment in a single pdf document) to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, you can apply directly through our online application form at our home page www.senckenberg.de/de/karriere/bewerbung/.
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
60325 Frankfurt a.M.
For more information on the position, please contact Prof. Dr. Thomas Schmitt via email email@example.com or +49 33432 73698-3701.
For more information about the Senckenberg Nature Research Society visit www.senckenberg.de.
Achtung! Bitte senden Sie Ihre Bewerbungen direkt an die Einrichtung, die die Stelle ausschreibt, und nicht an den Deutschen Museumsbund. Wenn in der Ausschreibung keine E-Mail-Adresse angegeben ist, sind Online-Bewerbungen nicht erwünscht. Vielen Dank!