Job offer ref. #09-19005
For over 200 years the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) represents one of the most relevant institutions investigating nature and its diversity. Currently, scientists from more than 40 countries across 11 locations in Germany conduct research in the fields of biodiversity, earth system analysis and climate change. The head office of Senckenberg is Frankfurt am Main.
The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung intends to fill at the Senckenberg German Entomological Institute (SDEI) in Müncheberg, near Berlin, as soon as possible the position of a Scientific employee (m/f/d) in the field of Coleoptera (full time)
- Research concentrating on the taxonomy and phylogeny of insects, ideally on beetles (Coleoptera), including related subject areas such as morphology, evolution, biogeography, ecology or conservation biology
- Integration in core projects of the SDEI and SGN and in processes leading to scientific publications within the framework of international research on biodiversity, concomitant with active participation in the further development of the profile of Senckenberg
- Scientific supervision of the Coleoptera Section at the SDEI, further cataloguing of the extensive collection (about 2 million specimens) and continued expansion of the collection
- Progressive digitalization of the beetle collection and coordination of the overall digitization strategy at SDEI in line with other entomological collections of SGN
- Self-dependent acquisition of third-party funding and coordination of such projects
- Leadership and training of technical personnel, willingness to teach young scientists and to cooperate with professional citizen scientists
- To take responsibility for general functions and management processes of the institute
- Degree in biology/zoology or a related discipline, completed with a Ph.D.
- International publication activity at a professional standard on the taxonomy and phylogeny of insects, preferably Coleoptera, with an emphasis on use of collection material
- Willingness to participate in interdisciplinary work, including ability to successfully acquire third-party funded projects and to coordinate and successfully conclude these
- Experience with international cooperation
- Experience in the use and application of a wide range of research methods including modern techniques
- Experience in the construction and care of insect collections, and preferably with digitalization of collection management
- A wide and well-grounded knowledge of entomology and the capability of communicating this to the public
- Active engagement in entomological societies and experience in the planning and running of professional meetings and other events involving a wider public
- A good command of English and preferably a second language. An adequate knowledge of German is firmly desired, and its rapid acquisition expected if not already given
- Experience in the leadership and instruction of technical assistants, students and interns, and in the cooperation with citizen scientists
- Flexibility, team compatibility, skills in communication and organization, together with didactic ability are called for. A high degree of engagement and sense of responsibility are essential.
What is awaiting you?
- An attractive and challenging position in a research institution of worldwide standing
- An employment initially limited with the prospect of an unlimited employment
- A salary that reflects the tasks and responsibilities of the position based on the collective agreement for public service in the state of Brandenburg (TV-L E 13)
- Self-directed action in a motivated and professional environment
- Good opportunities for further qualification, for example, support by the SDEI to acquire an adequate command of German within short time if necessary.
The Senckenberg Research Institutes support equal opportunity of men and women and therefore strongly invites women to apply. Equally qualified handicapped applicants will be given preference. The place of employment is Müncheberg, Germany. The employer is the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung.
You would like to apply?
Please send your application documents (CV, certificates and references and a letter of motivation), mentioning the reference of this job offer (ref. #09-19005) before 2nd January, 2020 by e-mail (attachment in a single pdf document) to:
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
60325 Frankfurt am Main
For more information, please contact Prof. Dr. Thomas Schmitt, email@example.com or + 49 33432 73698 – 3701.
Achtung! Bitte senden Sie Ihre Bewerbungen direkt an die Einrichtung, die die Stelle ausschreibt, und nicht an den Deutschen Museumsbund. Wenn in der Ausschreibung keine E-Mail-Adresse angegeben ist, sind Online-Bewerbungen nicht erwünscht. Vielen Dank!