The Senckenberg Society for Nature Research was founded in 1817 and is one of the most important research institutions around biological diversity. At its eleven sites throughout Germany, scientists from over 40 nations conduct cutting-edge research on an international scale. The company’s headquarters are in the Main metropolis of Frankfurt in the heart of Germany. It is also home to one of Senckenberg’s best-known facilities, the Senckenberg Natural History Museum.
Following its mission to “analyze and document biodiversity in earth system dynamics – to serve science and society” Senckenberg stands for curiosity-driven as well as application-oriented collections-based research.
To strengthen and innovate the collections-based research in the Department of Terrestrial Zoology at the Senckenberg Research Institute and Natural History Museum in Frankfurt, Germany, we seek to fill the positions of
Two Curators of Entomology (m/f/d)
(Tenure track, full time / part time optional)
We are looking for two internationally recognized entomologists with excellent track records in integrative taxonomy, systematics, and evolutionary or ecological research of Coleoptera, Diptera, Hymenoptera or Lepidoptera
With the two new curators we aim to strengthen our collections-based research through
- the integration of public engagement, e.g. citizen science projects, in basic or biomonitoring-oriented entomological research,
- the integration of innovative, non- or minimally invasive methods for harvesting scientific information from museum specimens, e.g. through innovative imaging approaches (hyperspectral imaging, µCT, MRI, environmental SEM), chemical analyses, or microbiome/pathogen analysis.
Collections-based research and curatorial duties will be associated with either the Coleoptera (1.7 million specimens; 6542 primary types), Diptera (0.5 million specimens; 232 primary types), Hymenoptera (0.2 million specimens; 982 primary types) or Lepidoptera (1.2 million specimens; 2300 types) collections. All collections date as far back as the early 19th century and comprise dry-pinned and ethanol materials.
- Curate and develop one of the above-mentioned collections and associated libraries as important international research tools through digitization and growth
- Conduct innovative collections-based research on the taxonomy, systematics, evolution and/or ecology of Coleoptera, Diptera, Hymenoptera or Lepidoptera
- Acquisition of external funds
- Actively publish results of your research in international scientific journals
- Contribute to Senckenberg’s Research Program through internal/external collaborations, e.g. with the Senckenberg German Entomological Institute, Müncheberg
- Doctoral degree in biology/zoology or related field
- Excellent knowledge of Coleoptera, Diptera, Hymenoptera or Lepidoptera systematics
- Experience in curation and management of entomological collections
- Outstanding research record in systematics, morphology, evolutionary biology or ecology of Coleoptera, Diptera, Hymenoptera or Lepidoptera, documented by international peer-review publications
- Fluency in both spoken and written English
- Experience in the acquisition of third-party funding
- Experience in one or more of the following: public science engagement, insect biomonitoring, collections digitization, innovative imaging techniques
- Experience in using molecular data for evolutionary or ecological studies
What is awaiting you?
- A vibrant, international team of scientists with collections-based research programs. The tenure track process adheres to the Senckenberg performance indicators and a merit-based career and promotion policy with the prospect of permanent employment
- Excellent infrastructures and collaboration opportunities, e.g. in morphology, biodiversity genomics, evolutionary biology, ecology
- Collections support personnel
- Opportunities to participate in teaching and outreach activities, e.g. in our museum
- A salary that reflects the tasks and responsibilities of the position based on the collective agreement for public service in the state of Hesse (TV-H E 13) and depending on the expertise of the applicant
- Flexible working hours – annual special payment – company pension scheme – 30 annual holidays – discounted job-ticket for public transportation in the Rhein-Main area – strong support for work-life balance (certified by “audit berufundfamilie”)
- Life in a vibrant, internationally-minded city (population 758.000), a global hub for transport and culture
- Senckenberg cooperates with the Dual-Career-Network Metropolitan Region Rhein-Main
Location: Frankfurt am Main
Scope of employment: Full-time (40 hours/week; optional: part-time)
Type of contract: The start of the contract is flexible, but we prefer a start date no later than April 1, 2023. The contract is Initially limited for a period of 3 years (tenure track 3+3 years) with a possible extension
Remuneration: According to a public service position
Senckenberg aims to increase the proportion of women. Qualified female candidates are therefore particularly encouraged to apply. Senckenberg is certified by the „audit berufundfamilie“. Compliance with the guidelines for the severely disabled and the provisions of the law on part-time work is ensured.
You would like to apply?
Please send your application documents
- Certificates and references,
- PDFs of 3 most important publications,
- letter of motivation and future visions for research and collections development programs (max. 3 pages),
mentioning the reference of this job announcement (ref.#01-22033 until 31.08.2022 (deadline) by e-mail (attachment in a single pdf document) to:
Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung
60325 Frankfurt am Main
For more information, please contact the head of department Prof. Dr. Steffen Pauls, email@example.com, phone: +49 (69) 7542-1222, or section head Dr. Monica Solórzano-Krämer, firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: +49 (69) 7542-1127.
Or visit our Homepage: https://www.senckenberg.de/
Achtung! Bitte senden Sie Ihre Bewerbungen direkt an die Einrichtung, die die Stelle ausschreibt, und nicht an den Deutschen Museumsbund. Wenn in der Ausschreibung keine E-Mail-Adresse angegeben ist, sind Online-Bewerbungen nicht erwünscht. Vielen Dank!